Friday, February 19, 2010

Gwerinllywodraeth

Surprising how much pleasure can be derived from the use of a single word. I remember a phase of playing a rather silly (but harmless) game in the National Assembly about who could meld a selected, obscure word into a speech during a particular debate. I was quite good at it. Well, my latest little game (perhaps challenge is a better word) is to search through my Welsh dictionary before a media appearance, select a new word, and try to bring it into one of my contributions. Last night's personal 'word challenge' before appearing on Pawb a'i Farn on S4/C was 'Gwerinllywodraeth'. What a beautiful word it is. It means 'Republic'. Its almost as good a word as 'Hyrwyddo' which means 'Promote' or 'Arallgyfeirio' which means 'Diversify' - words that you can really wrap your tongue around.

Anyway, last night there was a question about the place of the Royal Family in the constitutional existence of Wales - so maneuvering a suitable context for using 'Gwerinllywodraeth' was a doddle. I was still quite pleased with myself though when I managed it. But its never certain til the fat lady's sung. Dewi Llwyd could have cut across me just as I about to spit the word out. And I reckon it will have brought a smile to the face of a couple from Ynys Mon who made conversation with me in the Little Chef in Dolgellau when I was scouring my Welsh dictionary deciding on 'my word for the night'. I told them what I'd chosen, and they said they would be looking out for it. The studio audience would really have liked the word Gwerinllywodraeth' as well, because the entire audience believed in it. I was just about the only person in the Canolfan Hamdden (Leisure Centre) in Harlech last night who saw any role whatsoever for the Royal Family in Wales.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the leisure centre in Harlech was a sheep tied to a lamppost!

Glyn Davies said...

Anon - When I heard this first, it was Caernarfon !!

RS - Welsh word for chicken is 'cyw'. 'Cyw Ceiliog' is Welsh for Rooster

Seion said...

Glyn, I think that your remarks on Pawb a’i Farn about the problem regarding the closure of schools of small schools were very apt.

I have observed at first hand how the education authorities in Powys and Carmarthenshire went about the process, in a number of schools. I never cease to be amazed at the insensitive way that they continue to act in this regard.

The officers will know before they begin that it is bound to be stir up strong emotions. The most sensible approach, and before any specific plans were made, would be to hold meetings with the parents in a school that might be affected. They should give full details of all aspects of the kind of education that it is expected that a modern school should provide, and of the cost of providing it in this case compared with the norm. They should explain why it is becoming very difficult to provide it at that specific school. They should give comprehensive details of why they think that this is the case.

It should be explained that the purpose of the meeting is simply to explain the situation and consult all involved about the best way forward.

I think that what most people resent is the high handed way in which they are treated. Invariably they hear one day that their school is to close, never having been consulted.