Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Who'd be an MP?

Yesterday, I spoke to the Welshpool and District Visual Impaired Group. Around 40/50 of them. Very friendly occasion. Three big issues under discussion were all health related. A&E services in Shropshire (and Montgomeryshire), the frustrating delays in bringing a renal dialysis unit to Welshpool, and the proposed closure of a residential EMI unit at Newtown Hospital, all issues that will feature on this blog over the next few weeks. I'm working to develop expertise in all of them. And then someone asked me why on earth I want to be an MP. Iain Dale is asking and answering the same question in today's Telegraph.

Truth is that I cannot think of a job I'd rather do, except perhaps play stand off against the All Blacks - and that's not very likely to happen. At present, I spend most of my time, doing the sort of things I'd expect to be doing if I were to become an MP - but without the pay and expenses! Something to be said for that. In my answer I did explain that an elephant's hide for a skin in essential. Anyone who has a tendency to hot temper, or being cowed before verbal assault should go do something else.

Iain's full page article focused mostly on the public's response to the current furore about expenses, and the disrespect, often merging on contempt, that is currently felt for politicians in general - which is why yesterday's question was asked of me. I can honestly say that I never hear any of this amongst the people I meet, except when I was asking them to vote at the Euro election earlier this year. Perhaps it would change if I were to win. Whatever, it certainly won't change for incumbent MPs until the people have had their say in a General Election - nor should it. But back to the question. Being MP for Montgomeryshire would be a dream realised. Imagine walking into the Palace of Westminster as the representative of the people I have always lived amongst - following in the distinguished footsteps of Clement Davies, Emlyn Hooson and Alex Carlile. Who'd be an MP? I would, please.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for not mentioning the MP for Hello! His name doesn't exactly trip off the tongue following the others. Let's hope yours proves the next in line

Unknown said...

Who'd be an MP? Not Adam Price MP, for much longer. He is scathing about the likes of the Kinnocks and Touhigs as well as the Tory Welsh toffs (see his conference speech).
No need for Welsh patriots to join the glitterati and past and present incumbents of Westminster; Wales will soon have its own parliament.
" Before you know it you’ve changed your accent, your dress, and your values to fit in. JH Thomas, the former Union leader from Newport turned Labour MP tried so hard he took to wearing evening dress even at 11 in the morning. They made him Colonial Secretary not once, but twice. Nobody does imperialism quite as well as a self-denying member of a conquered people. And even though there are Welsh Labour MPs walking around in the corridors of power with a peculiar smile on their face of the permanently self-satisfied, unable to believe their luck in well, just being there. Kitted out in matching silk ties, silk hankies, and for all I know silk underwear as well. "

Anonymous said...

Since when has Alex Carlisle been distinguished?

Tcoah said...

Just wondering, but I seem to recall a recent article in the press about Mark Oaten wanting to make some kind of comeback ... into Parliament as an MP?

Anonymous said...

"Yesterday, I spoke to the Welshpool and District Visual Impaired Group. Around 40/50 of them...."

Bloody hell Glynn, my eyesight is 26/27 and like a shit house rat. If my eyesight was 40/50 it would be the same as a Tawny Owl - how can this group be described as Visually Impaired?

Anonymous said...

Glyn, a lot of your comments seem to be lately in priase of past Liberals, and you claim to be libertarian in nature...why are you a conservative? Or is this merely a weak attempt to try and convert liberal voters?

Anonymous said...

What on earth is Alex Carlisle doing on your list?! Possibly the most anti Welsh of all Liberals ever associated with Wales, with Lembit Opik coming a close second. Also bear in mind that AC is the person who INSISTED that LO remained as a Lib Dem candidate for MONT, much to Kirsty's disgust.
Edit him from your list - he's a pompous supercilious Lembit loving two-timing sham....

Unknown said...

We are all waiting for the day when Glyn's libertarian and anti-unionist tendencies rise up to the surface and he espouses his true calling as a son of Wales and not a lackey of Whitehall. ;-) wink

Jsquitc said...

Doesn't look like Lembit wants to stay one.