Thursday, December 11, 2008

Politician of the Year Awards.

I wasn't able to make the black-tie POTY Awards in Cardiff last night. But I had an interest because I was one of the 10 or so judges. Its not proper for me to make any comment whatsoever, but its fair to point out that its probable that each judge disagreed with some of the decisions - and theoretically possible that a judge voted for none of them. So there is no reason for me to be defensive about this list.

The winners were

Politician of the Year.....................Dafydd Elis-Thomas
MP of the Year...............................Paul Murphy
AM of the Year...............................Edwina Hart
MP to watch....................................Jenny Willott
AM to watch....................................Andrew R T Davies
Campaigner of the Year.................Nerys Evans
Local Politician of the Year.............Cllr. John Davies
Lifetime Achievement....................Dafydd Wigley

Personally I'd have liked to have given a Special Award to Rhodri Glyn Thomas as 'Hard done-by Politician of the Year.

Anyway, tell me what you think - and don't just disagree without giving us your preference.

7 comments:

Che Grav-ara said...

Rhodri Glyn will no doubt feel hard done by that you have mispelt his name especially as you share it!

As you'll see on my blog I didn't have the same views on them all but its all subjective

Glyn Davies said...

Che - Thanks. Slip of the brain. I've corrected it. At least I have not started spelling my own name wrong yet!

Anonymous said...

Poor Cairnsy was very hard done by too... definite storm in a teacup. But rehabilitated by now. It will take a long while for RGT to be rehabilitated - and by that I mean politically.

womensvoice said...

Who are these people and whatever did they do???
Local Politician of the Year: Councillor John Davies, Leader of Pembrokeshire County Council and the Welsh Local Government Association.

Campaigner of the Year: Nerys Evans.

Glyn Davies said...

anon - I saw RGT this week, and he seemed in sparkly form, and I was very pleased about that.

Theoratician - John Davies is the Leader of Pembrokeshire Counry Council and also Leader ofg the Welsh Local Government Association. He's given many years of outstanding service to local government

Anonymous said...

If there was an award for best incoming politician, this year it would have to be for local policitian but who would you of thought could fancy their chances, the new boys and girls in Powys are certainly getting themselves noticed.

Maybe young policitican of the year could be a new category next year.

What do you think?

Glyn Davies said...

Jane - Main problem I see is that it would be difficult to judge a catagory where the winner would be chosen from reletively unknown politicians. Its difficult enough to take an All-Wales perspective on the current Local Politician of the Year.