Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Cameron sets out his stall.

Blog time is short tonight. I've been doing my Xmas cards - and there's a lot of them. That's a consequence of being involved in multiple organisations. And I'm off early tomorrow to chair a conference on 'Surviving Cancer' in Cardiff - and spend lunchtime at a 'brainstorming' session on mental health and dementia at UWIC. Will probably stay up late reading in preparation. Had a quick look at today's news, and have been deeply impressed by what seems to me to be very important positioning by David Cameron - so felt that I wanted to comment. Its a key moment in UK politics, and may well decide who is the next Prime Minister.

Regular readers will know that I was in a state of shock when the Chancellor announced that next year he is planning to borrow £118 billion pounds, and that on the basis of the UK coming out of recession by July. And he also told us that he intends to borrow huge sums of money beyond the foreseeable future. We have four children, and I worry about what is going to happen to them as these horrendous debts fall to be repaid.

Anyway, its obvious that David Cameron and George Osborne are also worried about our four children. Good. But it was a lot more than a speech on the economy. Its a major plank in the platform on which I will be fighting the next General Election. I will be very comfortable campaigning on sound money. And it makes it easier to develop a genuine desire to see Gordon Brown ousted when I so disagree with the way he is gambling with the future of the economy. Its a good job that I have so much to read tonight. I'm so exercised by the sheer idiocy of the way our Government is printing money like confetti, that I could go on about it for hours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cameron is "the real THING" ... unlike a certain plastic owl ...

Reported on the BBC website:
Plastic owl fools RSPCA officers
A plastic owl was confused for the real thing by officers from animal charity the RSPCA when they were called to rescue the bird from a telegraph pole.

A passer-by contacted the charity after seeing it perched in Rayleigh, Essex.

RSPCA officers attended on Tuesday morning and called for help from Essex Fire Service.

An RSPCA spokeswoman said fire crews "climbed the pole and realised it was a fake. It had been placed on the pole by BT to stop birds from perching there".

She added: "It was a case of mistaken identity."

URL:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/essex/7776531.stm