Monday, December 01, 2008

Ashley site in Carno.

A very odd story on BBC online today. Montgomeryshire's Assembly Member, Mick Bates is calling on the Assembly Government and Laura Ashley, the fashion and furniture retailer to work together to develop the site of the former headquarters of the company in Carno in Montgomeryshire. I've been trying to discover what this story is based on. And as far as I can tell, its based on nothing much at all.

Reason I was interested in this is that about two years ago, my office was in touch with a developer who made a firm offer of over a million pounds to buy the site for housing and workshops - but at the time Laura Ashley wanted more. I thought the gap between the potential buyer and the company wasn't very significant, and I was deeply disappointed that it fell through. At the time, I thought Laura Ashley would be lucky to receive such an offer again. Perhaps the current AM does have a potential buyer for the site. I hope so. I hope it wasn't just a press release, produced only for publicity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have considered making an offer for the Carno site, but it's not the one Master Bates may be plotting....

Glyn Davies said...

Roman - Personally, I would welcome any move to develop the site. Its a matter for the company.