Sunday, August 17, 2008

Flying the Flag

I'm not much for all this nationalistic chest beating which attaches itself to winners at international competitions today, but I was pleased to see Tom James proudly waving the Welsh Dragon after winning his gold medal in the coxless fours. At the risk of incurring the wrath of some of those who visit this blog, I, too would have waved the Welsh flag if I'd been good enough to have won an Olympic final. There's something about sport which empowers my Welshness gene like nothing else can. Tom was taking a bigger risk of incurring the wrath of the Chinese authorities who are using the Games for political purposes and are determined to suffocate any possible display of regional/national pride, because of its disgraceful treatment of Tibet. Tom James of Wrexham is a real Welsh hero.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is actually a British hero, too. Don't deny him that.

Glyn Davies said...

anon - I would be happy for him to fly both flags - in fact whichever flag he wants to wave. And of course there are some who would like him to wave the EU flag