Monday, July 21, 2008

Juanita Powell 1927-2008

Missed the opening Monday of the Royal Welsh Show today for the first time in many years. At least I'm told I was lucky to have missed awful traffic problems. Sorry to miss the President's Lunch though, and various other receptions, but I couldn't but attend the funeral service for Edith Juanita Powell.

'Nita', as everyone knew, and Stewart lived next door to us. We've known then for 40 years, and I did not know her name was Juanita until I saw the Order of Service today. I don't think anyone knew. Funny how its possible to know someone really well over such a long period - and not even know her name. The funereal was at St Beuno's, the magnificent Parish Church in Berriew. Its a pity I have to go to funerals to hear 'The Old Rugged Cross' and 'How Great Thou Art', two of my favorite hymns. Nita was 81 years old and had not been in good health for many years. She died suddenly in the end. 'Salt of the Earth' is a phrase that comes to mind.

Anyway, I will be at the Royal Welsh tomorrow - and I have another invitation to the President's Lunch. I'm also speaking at a Campaign for the Protection of Rural Wales reception. Its going to be a rushed visit, because I'll need to be home in time to take Mrs D out for dinner. Its her birthday. And I can't go to the Show on Wednesday of Thursday because I'll be weeding the borders before Saturday's wedding and associated events, which will dominate this blog from Friday to Monday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very important to go to the "president's lunch". All the crachach will be there.

Glyn Davies said...

anon - I think the crachach go on the Monday.

Anonymous said...

same sort of people who go to the Carlton club?

Glyn Davies said...

anon - Cameo club more like!