Monday, April 14, 2008

Climate Change is dominating.

Attended a Conference on Climate Change at the Metropole in Llandrindod Wells today. There's a lot of this sort of thing about - but this turned out to be a very enjoyable event for me. I was President, and chairman for the day - though I'm not sure quite where the distinction lay. Two reasons it was so good. Firstly, it was all in the Welsh Language, which was terrific practise. By the time I reached the slot where I wound up proceedings for the day with a speech, I was starting to 'blossom' with confidence. Mind you it had been a dodgy start in the morning, because the Welsh Language of the first speaker, Dr Dyfed Elis-Gruffydd was way beyond me - the sort of advanced Welsh that I've only previously heard Cynog Dafis speak. I think he tested a few others, some of whom have been speaking Welsh all of their lives. I've managed to acquire an English version of his 40 minute speech to read at my leisure.

Second reason it was such a good conference was that everyone listened - right up until after 6.00. Those of us who have spent years speaking in the Assembly Debating Chamber are more used to fellow members working at their computers or chatting to each other (Rhodri Morgan used to do it deliberately, trying to unsettle the speaker if his debating position was weak.) I was to have chaired tomorrow's session and Cynog today's, but we swapped at the last minute because he had double booked himself.

As listening to all the speakers, what really struck me was how 'Climate Change' is impacting on every aspect of my life - as farmer, wildlife enthusiast, CPRW President, my involvement in care of the elderly and as politician. Only sport seems to be unaffected. If I wasn't now committed to Cardiff tomorrow, I'd have been tempted to spend another day at the Conference. Assembly Environment Minister, Jane Davidson, spoke well as officially opening the event.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the global warming alarmists have pushed governments into biofuels which is leading to MASS LOSS OF LIFE through starvation.

How 'noble' of these elitists to do this.

Glyn Davies said...

anon - I can do nothing but agree with the general point you make about biofuels..

Anonymous said...

Following on ... the global warming alarmists seem to love large meetings in out of the way nice places that they can fly to and hang out with politicians, who oblige with biofuels and CO2 caps while ignoring China which has overtaken the USA in CO2 output. Just smacks of self-indulgent-elitism. Al Gore (who flies in a private jet and had lots of stocks in the oil industry) must be laughing all the way to the bank. How much does Al Gore charge for his speeches? Obiously quite a lot since he uses a private jet to fly to them.