Thursday, November 15, 2007

Ultimate Challenge

My first thought was "What have I done?" When I was in London on Tuesday, I took tea in the House of Commons with David Davies, MP for Monmouth. This was an exploratory parry to assess what chance I have of recruiting David to support the campaign for transferring law making powers to the National Assembly. My next, rather easier challenge is to try to persuade Brynle Williams to go vegetarian!

And then I read today's BBC online headline 'David Davies to retire in 2012, admitting that"Mae Hen Wlad fy Nhadau is the only song which will make me start crying".' My first thought was that the intrepid devo-sceptic had come on board, giving up on Westminster to return to Cardiff Bay as soon as the 2011 referendum approves law making powers for a Welsh Parliament. But No. It was our Welsh swimming star, the other David Davies announcing that he was retiring after the 2012 Olympics. Imagine my disappointment. Looks like there will have to be a few more visits to the House of Commons.

7 comments:

Oscar said...

ask him next time what has happened to his blog.

Glyn Davies said...

perhaps its been tasered!!

Oscar said...

ha ha
I,like that!

Anonymous said...

Glyn, I don't know why you want to go to Parliament. You'd be happier trying for the assembly again. Parliament is too big for you, with respect, and you get different types of Tory there.

Glyn Davies said...

anon - I love this 'different types of Tory'. Of course there are, as there are in the Assembly. And different types of Labour (John Griffiths and Huw Lewis) - and Plaid (Gareth Jones and Bethan Jenkins) - and Lib Dem (all of them).

The reason that I'm not in the Assembly is that I lost my seat. And I can see that there is a huge job to do at Westminster if devolution is to be successful - and I've never hidden my ambition to give this my top priority. I go to Westminster quite often and I sense that I would feel entirely comfortable there.

Anonymous said...

yes, Glyn, but nobody will welcome you there. They all hate the Welsh assembly

Glyn Davies said...

anon - Well, they won't all hate the Assembly if I'm elected will they?