Saturday, November 17, 2007

Plaid growing up

It does look as if Plaid Cymru is making a stab at growing up - becoming a proper party, wanting to make a difference, rather than just make headlines. At its conference today it ignored Jill Evans' self indulgent paper about resigning from Nato and handing over our 'Welsh' armed forces to the command of the United Nations. And more significantly, they decided to end their long standing opposition to nominating members of the House of Lords.

This is good news for Wales - as well as being good Plaid Cymru. Wales needs every party to take the Lords seriously. It needs an injection of individuals who are very obviously 'Welsh' or have demonstrated a genuine commitment to the governing of Wales. I'm not going to comment on my Party's position (this is a matter for David Cameron and I'ld get myself into trouble) and I've already suggested 3 names for Plaid Cymru. To be fair, the Lib Dems have always taken Welsh presentation seriously and have a strong hand - so that leaves Labour. Come on Gordon. Pick up the phone to Sue Essex and Deleth Evans, two women who have already shown us what they're made of.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it abour time you converted to Plaid Glyn? Your points of view on most subjects seem muchcloser to Plaid members than Conservative members in Wales!!

Glyn Davies said...

rhyddid - I'm not sure that suggesting Plaid's ignoring of Jill Evan's pacifist ideas and its embrace of the House of Lords is sensible quite justifies your comment!!

Anonymous said...

What about the Conservative Party? It hasn't elected a Welsh member since Lord Roberts in 1997, as Dylan Jones Evans pointed out on CF99 on Wednesday night. If it is to take democracy for Wales at all levels seriously, shouldn't it be electing a few Welsh members to the Upper House soon rather than depending on someone who doesn't even know where wales is?

Glyn Davies said...

anon - I note what you write - but I did post that I was not going to comment on my own Party. I can't see point in getting myself in hot water for no benefit.

Anonymous said...

Who cares who sits in the House of Lords. The upper House only has delaying powers which might be irritating for the government but let's not get carried away with the idea that 2 more Plaid peers will transform the Welsh presence at Westminster. If both Wigley and Cynog Davis are that interested in representative politics then why don't they stand for election next May for their respective councils. What would be amusing is if the Plaid faithful elect someone who the isn't deemed to be suitable by the establishment. Any Plaid member who wants to shaft this policy change should vote for the biggest nutter in the party. It wouldn't be difficult given the calibre of the average Plaid politician!

Glyn Davies said...

anon - I don't agree with you. All parties have good politicians, and I've posted who I think would be good for Plaid and Labour. The Lib Dems already have a decent quota - and I'm ducking out of discussing my own Party. You are correct about the actual power of the House of Lords - but influence doesn't always depend on power. Aung San Suu Kyi is probably a good contemporary example.