Friday, November 30, 2007

The Ladies of Penybontfawr

Penybontfawr is a quiet little 'Welsh' village in the heart of Montgomeryshire. But next week, I expect Penybontfawr to be anything but quiet. It will invaded by tourists and single men looking for a house to buy. Amateur ornithologists will be strolling casually around the village looking for pippits and larks, binoculars at the ready. I wouldn't be surprised to see Council workmen turning up to repair Penybontfawr's potholes. And the reason for this invasion? The ladies of the village have cast off their kit for a charity calender. And all I can say is if the other 11 are anything like as 'tasteful' as Kim whose photograph (completely starkers) appears on page 14 of today's Montgomeryshire County Times, they won't be disappointed. It really should have been on page 3.

Last year, I took a busful of the ladies of Penybontfawr on a guided tour of our garden at Cil Farm - at least those who are members of the local Merched y Wawr. I had no idea what a raunchy lot they were. There were about 40 of them. I feel quite stressed thinking about it. If I'd known what they had in mind, I would have hired a photographer so that some appropriate, tasteful shots could have been taken amongst our borders. An opportunity missed.

But this blog wants to congratulate the Penybontfawr Ladies on their willingness. Kim Cleminson, the organising Committee Chairman, told the newspaper that the ladies responded to the loss of a friend's mother to cancer by deciding to raise money for Marie Curie Cancer Care. She added that the calender is made up of "tasteful nude photos" of brave volunteers from local businesses and sports clubs. After all, I did notice when I looked at the photograph again that Kim was wearing her watch. If this one photograph is anything to go by, the calender is cheap at its price of £8. I hope the ladies make a lot of money for a great cause. But the image of Penybontfawr will never be the same again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honestly, this blog gets more saucy by the day ;)

Glyn Davies said...

ordo - I just report facts as I see them. You should buy a copy of this week's County Times. Appartantly its the first nude photograph in the 130 year's history of the newspaper - an event worth noting on every Montgomeryshire based blog. Wouldn't surprise me if Spin Doctor in the Wales on Sunday has something to say about the local water though.

Anonymous said...

this montgomeryshire sounds like an interesting place to live

Anonymous said...

can you let us know if there are properties for sale in penybontfawr.

Glyn Davies said...

anons. I think all of the houses for sale in Penybontfawr were snapped up at the weekend.

Anonymous said...

Hi Glyn

Firstly I should introduce myself - I am Kim Cleminson the person behind the Calendar and I would just like to thank you very much for your report and comments, I must admit I'm not really sure how to take some of the comments but then any publicity is good publicity.

I just wanted to clarify that the pictures taken are made of both sexes (although each picture containing individual or groups of the same sex)from businesses and sports club all over the Tanat Valley.

We have had a great response to the calendar since the launch and have sold 200 in 2 weeks! I very much hope that I can put your name down for one too?

We have been approached by a freelance journalist who works for national women's magazines, and so I would snap your's up now before we hope they begin to fly out of the door nationally.

Thank You again for taking the time to report on this calendar and bringing awareness to such a worthy cause.