Sunday, November 18, 2007

Corrected by 'Spin Doctor'

I readily admit that this blog occasionally strays into attempted 'gentle' sexist humour. Question I have to ask is "How long can it survive before being cleansed of such unsuitable material"? Wales on Sunday's 'Spin Doctor' is putting me under intense pressure. He (or she) is at it again today. The intrepid gossip hound has been reading my post last week about an Indian Man who married his dog. I admit that when advising Mr Selvakiman on the route to a contented marriage, I rather frivolously suggested that he should resort to the tried and tested technique of 'tummy tickling' which "in my limited experience works for most marriages". Now, I was being allegorical rather than precise. Nevertheless, Spin Doctor's frequent references to Montgomeryshire politicians may well require me to adjust the 'political correctness sheep dip' so that sexist humour is eliminated.

The heading of this week's Spin Doctor was 'The drunk and the jester to go head-to-head'. It was referring to an item about Charles Kennedy possibly challenging Lembit Opik for the Presidency of the Liberal Democrats next autumn, rather than allowing my opposition at the next election a virtual shoe-in against a Baroness Ros Scott. I really think an 'Ex' should have been included in the headline - although I will leave it to readers to decide where. I'm just putting the 'Ex' before attempted gender humour!

I have to admit that I like the sort of scurrilous gossip that Spin Doctor writes. There's not nearly enough of it in Wales. And I don't mind if my blog is searched for snippets which cause me to bite lumps out of the china when I read them. In fact, this week I was referred to as 'The Tory Its Ok To Like.' Spin Doctor can't be all bad.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

He (or she)

It's Matt Withers, Glyn. I thought everybody knew that by now.

Glyn Davies said...

Sanddef - I knew that it is usually Matt, but not always. Who does it if he is on holiday. I know of at least two 'stand-ins' who have been trawling around for gossip in the past. In fact, these columns are usually something where everyone chips in. Anyway, its better if we don't know for sure who it is.

Anonymous said...

champagne charlie would wipe out the third tier celeb. his only chance of winning is if there's a dummy up against him

Miss Wagstaff said...

I'll do it for £500 per week and free drinks in the Assembly restaurant and tea room. Wouldn't we all.

Glyn Davies said...

anon - A Kennedy intervention would change things a lot. I'd rather assumed Lembit would have no real competition for the job.

Miss W - I'd do the Spin Doctor piece for a lot less than you. I called in to see the new restaurant on my last visit to Cardiff. It seats about 50 and is rather grand. I'm hoping for an invite from one of the AMs to try it out before Xmas. Just thought I'd put my availability out there - in case you have any pull Miss.

Miss Wagstaff said...

"It seats about 50 and is rather grand."

I wonder what happens when all 60 members want to attend when a visiting diplomat pops over for a talk and a nibble.

Glyn Davies said...

MW - I guess that 10 of them will have to talk in the tea room and sit on each other's knee when its time for a nibble!

Anonymous said...

doesnt Blammer step in for Matt sometimes