Sunday, September 30, 2007

Conference Alternative

Most Conservative Candidates would have been heading to Blackpool this weekend. But I can't go until tomorrow. Today was the occasion of the High Sheriff of Powys' luncheon at the grand setting of Glansevern Hall in my village of Berriew. James Turner, the High Sheriff is a very good friend and the event was to raise money for Rekindle, a charity set up locally to help young people with mental illness to recover. I'm taking more of an interest in mental health, and decided that I couldn't miss it.

It was a really good event. Around 150 people there. Champagne and great food. And there was the inevitable auction. Our companions, Peter and Heather bought a week in an apartment in the French ski resort of Les Trois Vallees. There's room for 6 - and we were promptly invited. I'll have to check what the Parliamentary time table is for next March 8th -15th (just in case). Peter also bid for a House of Lords bottle of Scotch Whisky, donated by the wonderful Lord Hooson, a dear friend of mine. Unfortunately he wasn't concentrating and was actually bidding for a voucher from Hair and Beauty by James Salon in Shrewsbury. And then Roy on the next table paid over £200 for Dinner for Two at the House of Lords, donated by Lord Carlile, who used to be our closest neighbour. He announced, to much laughter, that he wanted to reach the House of Lords before I did. A hell of a lot of money for the privilege of cracking a joke! But so what. Its a good cause.

Anyway, if I'd gone to Blackpool, I would have attended the platform discussion between the Party Chairman and the Devolved Tory Leaders. I've just read on Iain Dale's Diary that Iain left the Conference Hall when this discussion started, describing it as "truly terrible". His judgement is pretty good so it seems that I had a lucky escape.

No comments: