Friday, February 16, 2007

Rainbow Coalition Gathers Pace

Every Tory in Britain now knows about the 'Rainbow Coalition'. It seems that it has been renamed the 'Grand Coalition', which I would have thought better describes a Labour/Tory union. For some reason, the top journos at the Beeb call it a 'Brazilian Coalition'. Now, I thought a Brazilian was some sort of hairdo.

Anyway reading the ConservativeHome website a few minutes ago, there it was. Under the heading "Right wing critics helpful to Tories", Nick Bourne was openly discussing the 'Grand Coalition' on the one page in the UK read by every Conservative in the land.

As the Assembly elections in May approach, Bourne said that the Minority Labour Administration in Cardiff could be replaced by an alliance of Tory, Plaid Cymru and Liberal Democrat AMs.

"We have to look at the arithmatic on May 3rd and there are various possibilities and I don't think you can discount the possibility of a Grand Coalition" he said.

"As Assembly Members, we have to do what is in the best interests of the people of Wales. Without being pompous about it, we have a constitutional obligation to look at the results and say, "How do we move on from here".

I don't think a minority administration is a stable administration. We have one now that only just has a minority. If they lose more AMs I don't think they could stagger on for a full Assembly term with 24 or 25 members. Its just not realistic.


So we need something more stable and one of those possibilities is an alliance amongst the now opposition parties".

Too bloody right it is! I thought I saw Ieaun looking a bit more relaxed this last week. I think he must have calming down after all the 'wobbly' rumpus before Xmas. I'll help things along a bit more, by saying that Ieuan is a 'tidy' fellow - something of a compliment in the higher reaches of the mountains of Montgomeryshire. It looks as if the Assembly election might not be so boring after all.

5 comments:

Matt Withers said...

Er, yes. I suppose, strictly speaking, a Brazilian is "some sort of hairdo"...

Glyn Davies said...

Perhaps I was mixing up my 'Brazilian' with my 'Mohican'!!

Blamerbell said...

"Every Tory in Britain now knows about the 'Rainbow Coalition'"

I think that's probably over-egging Conservative Home's readership a little.

I can just imagine all those scone-making blue rinse Tories in the home counties religiously monitoring their rss feeds...

Glyn Davies said...

There is always somebody determined to dampen my enthusiasm.

Anonymous said...

Election night will certainly not be boring - but even more interesting may well be the following week